This page has details of course requirements for Majors and Honours in Politics
You should complete the Arts Core in your first two years.
- 6h in English at the 1000-level.
- 6h in a single language other than English Students whose first language is not English
or who can demonstrate a high level of competence in a language other than English may
substitute a second 6h in English. (French courses fill early - register ASAP for your
2nd year if you don't get in 1st year.) Please follow this link and take the placement test to see which French you need.
- 6h social science (our two intro courses satisfy this requirement, you do no need to take extra social science)
- 6h "humanities" -- art (not 2013, 2023, 3013, 3023), classics, comparative religion, history, philosophy, or music not applied, vocal or instrumental methods, or practical studies)
- 6h in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science (can be Psychology, Geology, Computing - not a math-based requirement)
Politics offers courses in four streams: Majors need 6h in three; honours need 6h in all four streams.
- Canadian Politics
- Comparative Politics
- International Relations
- Political Theory
- Non-stream Major Courses
For the list of courses offered in the current year consult the Acadia registrar's page.
We post a draft of our upcoming timetable by January each year.
Politics credit is also given for Interdisciplinary Studies 2216, 3103, 3123 and Women's Gender Studies 3023.
BA with Major in Politics
(120 Total Credit Hours)
Politics Requirements for Degree: (48h)
- Both POLS 1303 and 1403 (6h) - POLS 1303 introduces students to central concepts in political analysis and the nature of representative democracies, focusing on Canada. Political and legal theory. POLS 1403 introduces students to concepts such as development, war and peace, international law and justice, culture and social movements. Contemporary global politics.
- Additional politic courses (42h) Major students must have at least 6h in three of the four streams listed above.
Politics credit is also given for Interdisciplinary Studies 2213, 2223, 3103, and 3123 and 4186. Also credit is given for Women's and Gender Studies 3023.
You can switch your major to politics by emailing the head of department, Andrew Biro, at email@example.com
BA with Honours in Politics
(120 Total Credit Hours)
Politics Requirements for Degree: (60h)
- Both POLS 1303 and1403 (6h)
- 2000, 3000 and 4000 level political science courses: (36h)
- POLS 3403 (Seminar) and 4996 (Thesis) & at least three other 4000 level courses: (18h)
- You need a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to enter the honours program and no politics mark under B- will count towards the honours degree.
Honours students must offer 6h in each of the four streams listed above.