BA with a Major in Politics
Students who want to major in Politics should complete the Arts Core in their first two years. The Arts Core includes:
- 6h in English at the 1000-level
- 6h in a single language other than English: Students whose first language is not English, or who can demonstrate a high level of competence in a language other than English, may substitute a second 6h in English. (French courses fill early - register ASAP for your 2nd year if you don't get in 1st year. Please follow this link and take the placement test to see which French you need.)
- 6h Social Science: Our two intro courses satisfy this requirement; you are not required to take additional social science courses.
- 6h Humanities: Art (not 2013, 2023, 3013, 3023), Classics, Comparative Religion, History, Philosophy, or Music (not applied, vocal or instrumental methods, or practical studies)
- 6h in the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science; note, not a math-based requirement
Politics majors must complete 48h in Politics courses, including both POLS 1303 and POLS 1403.
- POLS1303: Law, Politics & Government covers central concepts in political analysis and the nature of representative democracies, focusing on Canada.
- POLS1403: Global Politics, Law and Culture explores development, war and peace, international law and justice, and social movements.
Politics majors participate in the Politics Passport, which is a non-credit course required each year. For more information about the Politics Passport, go HERE.
The Department of Politics offers courses in four streams. Majors need 6h in three of the four streams.
There are also non-stream and cross-listed courses that can count toward your major or honours in Politics.
You can switch your major to Politics by emailing the Department, email@example.com.
Students interested in more intensive and extensive coursework and the opportunity to produce an original piece of scholarly activity, in the form of an honours thesis, should consider the Honours Program. More information on honouring in Politics is available HERE.